Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Fun Never Ends

It was a stressful afternoon here in our world.  My poor father has been transferred so many times today for various tests that I'm sure he must feel like a sack of potatoes.  He has moved from the intensive care unit and is now in a semi-private room on the ward.  Prior to getting here though he went for radiation and then his CT scan.  Radiation was very hard on dad as he dealt with anxiety attacks.  It was really heartbreaking because his head had to be bolted down (with the mask) and that didn't go over well.  His neck is swollen and very sore from the surgery and the radiation today and he's getting frustrated not being able to communicate with everyone.  He's been really patient with our lip reading but I know he's getting tired of this. Although it's good that dad is no longer "critical" and requiring intensive care, he is not comfortable with this move and is in fact, more nervous than yesterday.  In I.C.U. he had 24 hour care/supervision.  Here on the ward he is lucky to see anybody as the nurse is assigned to many rooms.  They really aren't prepared here for him here - no meds, no food, no suction machine... but don't you worry, the red roots have come out and mom has gone into 'advocate mode' and things are beginning to change.  Her reputation has proceeded her as the nurse said she was warned!  The nurses in the I.C.U. explained to the new staff that mom is not just any relative and that they need to a) take her seriously and b) listen to what she has to say because she truly does know best what he needs.  Dad is already beginning to freak out about us leaving tonight because he can't call anyone and can't use a call bell.  We THINK (not sure yet but) he might have a P.S.W. sit with him throughout the night just in case he needs anything.  This would make us feel much better.  I can't imagine how helpless he feels.  We can't stress this enough to the nurses on this floor to get them to understand that he can't move, can't talk, can't call for help, or can't even scratch his itchy face (which is driving him nuts - because of meds and tape from tubes).  The trach is really bothering him this afternoon and he can't seem to get comfortable.  We are also very concerned about skin break downs.... when we left last night we told the nurse not to turn him if he was sleeping (to not wake him up because he also hasn't slept in days) but that he couldn't stay on his right side all night (which is already a problem with the H.O. that hasn't been treated).  The nurse didn't turn him AT ALL so he was on this hip from the time we left until we got back.  Again, a case where mom knows best and people need to listen.  This isn't a regular, able-bodied person we're dealing with and the usual, regular routines are not always in his best interests (which we've seen and dealt with MANY times).  My mother should have an honorary nurses degree as she has provided most of his care here (which is nothing new). 

The good news is that tomorrow we need to bring dad's wheelchair in and begin to get him up for a short periods.  I think this will do wonders for him.  He also has internet access so in a day or two when he's up to it, we can bring in his laptop and he can touch base with you all himself.


7 comments:

  1. My God Kim I know what your mom must be going through and your dad as will. Same kind of thing happened to us 10 years ago with Ron after his stroke. first month he was in the hospital I was there almost 24/7..they don't seem to understand.. Delphine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both your mom and dad are very strong people, praying that everything goes well. Give your mom a big hug for me and tell them both that i am praying for them. Tell Garge i want to see him in nfld next summer.
    Weezie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine what you Dad and the rest of your family are going through. All I can say is hang in there, all your family are a very strong. We will keep everyone in our prayers.
    Ralph and Bernice

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all,I am the first to admit that I am not the strongest when it comes to reading these posts and others like it about other people..Things like this bring tears to my eyes..I am also not a prayer type of person but times like these open that little part of me that want me to pray for my good friend Garge ( Ivan ) and his wonderful family..
    Lost a friend just yesterday and as much as I mourn the loss of a very good friend I am so much more positive in my thoughts for Ivan..

    Hang in their Ivan and get back to the jolly man that we all have come to admire..

    Kim I will be looking forward to continued updates..Thank you so much..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flanker, so sorry for the loss of your friend. Thanks so much for keeping up with our blog and sending us your well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this will get to you as I have no idea how to send this Ivan you know how computer lousy I am. I sending lots of love,hugs and best wishes.
    Marie The old boy sends his best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mom sounds like an AMAZINGLY strong person....now I see where you get it from.

    I am sorry that all of you are going through this, but I have enjoyed getting to know your family through these updates. I know your parents don't know me, other than meeting once in the fall, but please send them my best. For you Kim, I hope you are taking care of yourself too. I am still in Oakville teaching, but let me know next week at school if there is anything I can do for you. Feel free to ask.

    ReplyDelete